On 10/10/08 00:50, Hal Vaughan wrote:
I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it asks me for a username. All my life I've used my first name, Hal, as a username (although in all lower case).

Etch won't let me do this. I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu. And now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.

I've been told that the system should use something like "hal-daemon" instead, but it's not letting me do this.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a server on this LAN, including providing NIS for all my other systems.

This stinks.

It royally stinks. You'd think someone would have seen this as an issue when setting it up. Hal isn't the most common name, but it's not uncommon and it's certainly a name most geeks are aware of (hey, if the haven't seen 2001, then they're not true geeks!).

Cypher your username with ROT1.  That should solve your problem...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson