On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:27:28 -0600
Ron Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/09/08 09:58, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I want to setup three machines to boot over the network from an nfs root.
> > The network doesn't have a dhcp server (I prefer if it's possible to do it
> > without one) and the network card is only supported with newer kernels
> > (2.6.28-rc).
> >
> > Is there a way to do it through grub or do I need to setup a minimal system
> > and boot from it?
> >
> > Any pointers on how to set this up?
>
> PXE boot seems like what you want, where the client's NIC requests
> the boot files from the server.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

Yes, theoretically that is what I want, but if I'm not mistaken PXE boot is
dependent on a dhcp server giving the machine an IP and declaring that it has
a boot image to provide, or am I wrong.

I want to give the ip as an option and use a given nfs server as a root, not
resolve these values at run time

thanks