Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/13 Daryl Styrk <darylst...@gmail.com>:
>> Mike Castle wrote:
>>> Huh?  Why?
>> According to "Learning the BASH Shell" by Cameron Newham and Bill
>> Rosenblatt  it is dangerous to have personal bin directory listed before
>> the public bin directories.
>>
>> I have no idea what the policy is for quoting excerpts from a book so
>> I've chosen to leave it out.  If it's ok, I'll be happy to give up the
>> couple of lines.
>>

> The first path with a matching name will be used. So if you have the
> systemwide /usr/bin/firefox and your own personal ~/bin/firefox you
> _must_ have your personal bin listed first in the path to get run.
>
> Why is that dangerous? Because if your account is compromised then
> critical system programs (ls, cd, and the like) can be easily replaced
> with compromised versions. Putting your own bin at the end of the path
> is meant to thwart this.
>
>> I have no idea what the policy is for quoting excerpts from a book so
>> I've chosen to leave it out.  If it's ok, I'll be happy to give up the
>> couple of lines.
>>

> Fair use: pretty much it you can type it out in a few lines it's fair game.

"This is unsafe because you are trusting that your own version of the
more command works properly. But it is also risky for a more important
reason: system security. If your PATH is set up in this way, you leave
open a "hole" that is well known to computer crackers and mischief
makers: they can install "Trojan horses" and do other things to steal
files or do damage."

There is a senerio that goes on to detail how a user with a suid script
in their personal bin directory before a public bin.  Creating a Trojan
that looks for a common utility such as grep..

The example script..
"cp /bin/bash filenamechown root filenamechmod 4755 filename/bin/grep
"$@"rm ~/bin/grep"

"Sits back and waits for the user to run the suid shell script—which
calls the Trojan horse, which in turn creates the suid shell and then
self-destructs."

If you have the book I'm looking at chapter 10. 10.3.2 to be exact.