On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Kushal Koolwal
<kushalkool...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with installing Debian (say Lenny) on USB
> flash drives? I would like to install Debian on my PQI 4 GB USB flash drive
> but I am not sure which filesystem to use - ext2, ext3, XFS?

I've done something like this and it worked pretty well with
etch-and-a-half several months ago.  I just used ext2 as the
filesystem for simplicity and haven't had any issues thus far.  I have
heard that flash storage these days sustains enough write cycles to
outlive the average hard drive.  I have no science to back this claim
up, but since flash drives are relatively cheap these days, I haven't
been overly concerned about it.

As for installing to and booting from a usb device, you may have to
add usb_core to the modules loaded by your initrd if your initrd
complains of being unable to find the root device.

Regards,
Elijah