Hi Greg and Douglas:

Many thanks for the additional information about diagnostics and the older Debian Linux. There is probably a hardware issue with one of the floppy drives that is somehow corrected once Windows 98 has fully booted, but which still affects booting from a floppy disk. I did try the memory test on the latest ubuntu release and no errors appeared in over a half hour, so I don't think the memory is bad yet. I have a friend who is looking out for some 128MB 72-pin SIMMs for me, which would allow me to run a less lean version of Linux e,g, ubuntu. However, the earlier Debian release sounds like a good option, and the explanation about how wp8 runs and what modules it needs was very helpful. I will look at the grml CD and the hardware diagnosis disk that Greg recommended and see if they can establish the problem. What is or was Debian woody? Doug, it's tin whiskers, by the way, and I don't think that's the problem, as they are worse when there is no lead in the solder (probably not true of 1988 vintage computers!) There doesn't appear to be any way to enter a non-GUI mode with the Corel distribution when booting from the CD, and since it does not fully load, I can't run any diagnostics from it either. My friend is also an OpenBSD and GNU guru, so I can ask him about the options you mentioned.

Regards,
Martin Willcocks
Taylorsville, UT, USA.