On 2009-02-18 10:45 +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> I did "apt-get install autossh", the apt ask me if I want to update
> glibc and I said yes of course.
> However glibc update stopped because it requires a 2.6 kernel, and now
> apt-get refuses to work, because a lot of packages depend on libc6
> which is marked as "will not install".

It seems your sources.list is misconfigured, you seem to have "stable"
in it which would upgrade your system to Lenny.  The glibc there indeed
requires a 2.6 kernel.

> Any idea howto get out of that misery?

It really depends on what you want.  If you want to stick to Sarge
(which may be sensible on a system with only 24 MB RAM), you should
point your sources.list to it, i.e. use

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

and downgrade packages to their Sarge version.

> Is it possible to switch to kernel-2.6 and if yes how, I guess it
> would would solve all the remaining problems.

The best thing to do is to compile your own kernel and select only those
drivers that you need.  Official kernels depend on udev, and you
probably want to avoid wasting precious memory for that.

Sven