On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2009 09:15:46 Virgo Pärna wrote:
> >     Does anyone else also receives "On battery power, so skipping file
> > system check" warning, when starting up a laptop with AC power connected?
> > Especially in Lenny.
> >
> > --
> > Virgo Pärna
> > virgo.pa...@mail.ee
>
> I also get this when on battery power, and it works fine when on AC power.
>
> I believe this is actually a good thing cause if you checking your disks and
> then run out of battery bad things(tm) can happen...

It is actually a FUBAR piece of crap, it skips the fscks even when the
filesystems are dirty (which is guaranteed to cause a much worse data loss
if the filesystem is corrupt), and it causes /forcefsck to be ignored (which
is unacceptable).

There's a bug open about it, and we're going to fix it one way or the other.

We just don't know what would be the best way yet, since fsck can't be told
to ignore the "fsck after N mounts or M days without a check" right now.

IMO, we may have to dump the whole idea entirely, and tell people how to
tune their filesystems to drop the "N mounts or M days" stuff.  When that is
done, the system will fsck only when required.  We may keep the battery
check as an optional thing that must be explicitly enabled, since it can
make a data loss episode a lot worse.

And we can certainly provide an alternative way to do rolling fscks after
some time has passed if fsck can't be fixed to let us do it the easy way.

  Henrique Holschuh