On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 22:05:20 +0100,
Dieder Vervoort wrote:
 > Florian Kulzer wrote:
 >> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:22:32 +0100, Dieder Vervoort wrote:
 >>> I can' t make xhost to work.
 >>> I searched around but couldn 't find a solution.

[...]

>>> die...@koala:~$ xhost +
 >>> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

>> If your goal is to run X applications via ssh, then I would try this:

>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-xssh

[...]

> Many thanks, because the remote system is light, I do not prefer to use
 > SSH ( sorry, the line telenet 192.168.1.8 was missing in the problem
 > description))
 > When I telnet from a Slackware client to the remote host running Lenny +
 > JWM-desktop it is working fine !
 > So the problem is client pc running Lenny + KDE + xhost +  does not
 > accept  incoming  TCP + X

The first thing to check is if X really was started without "-nolisten
 tcp":

$ ps -ef | grep "[/]bin/X "
 root      9482  9480  0 22:49 tty7     00:00:01 /usr/bin/X -br :0 vt7 -auth
/var/run/xauth/A:0-qdt4bc

...and if X is actually listening on port 6000:

# netstat -plant | grep 6000
 tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
 9482/X
 tcp6       0      0 :::6000                 :::*                    LISTEN
 9482/X

If that has gone wrong than you did not remove the "-nolisten tcp"
 option from the relevant file; this depends on how you start X. For
 example, if you use KDM to start your X session then you have to change

ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp

ServerArgsLocal=

in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc.

If you can confirm that your server is listening on port 6000 then you
 probably should check if you have a local iptables rule that blocks
 connections to this port.

           Florian   |

--

Hi Florian,

I double checked kdmrc and xserverrc, and these must be right.

I have ServerArgsLocal=
and -nolisten TCP removed from xserverrc.

Unfortunatly I have forgotten to run your cli commands,

removed KDE and installed Gnome, still not functioning....
( I am going to reinstall it)

But I couldn't wait

I have tested the local function from 2 other pc's

 Etch + Gnome  = OK
 Slackware + KDE = Ok there was no need to modify kdmrc !

The pleasant surprise: in my local-X I have not only the webrowser where I can
choose a streaming, and the VLC console pops up on my local host as a child of
the browser window !

So what is working:
Remote: old portable Pentium II 66Mhz 96 Mb Ram Debian Lenny + JWM + sound card.
Local in xterm: xhost +
                telnet to Remote export Dispalay > Konqueror + VLC

Many Thanks, I am going to try the Lenny / KDE later

Dieder