In <gqg8ru$4j...@ger.gmane.org>, H.S. wrote:
>I have a large data tar file of 4.4 GB. I have made it available over
>https to be downloaded by the recipient. This is on a Debian Sid, 2.6.26
>kernel and the partition is ext3.
>
>When the remote user clicks on that download link, his browser is
>showing the file size to be only around 130 MB. The client is a Windows
>XP machine where the drive is NTFS formatted.
>
>I am not well versed with apache server. Have it somehow hit a limit set
>in the https server? If not what gives?

It's probably not a problem with the Apache server.  Instead, it is probably
an issue with the Windows client.  The size reported by the Apache server is
probably overflowing a 32-bit unsigned integer.  I'm pretty sure the NTFS
supports 4.4G files, but that doesn't mean that every client (or server) is
prepared to see a size that large.

Could you post the results of an HTTP HEAD request for the file?  I'm
particularly interested in what Apache is sending as the value of the
Content-Length header.  If you don't have another tool in mind for this,
wget should be able to show you these headers.

If the Content-Length is correct, it is a problem client-side.  If the
Content-Length is incorrect, it is a problem server-side.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))