On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:26:28PM -0400, William Bradley wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2003 06:10 pm, Kent West wrote:
>
> > Sorry; I guess I didn't make myself clear. Forget completely about X for
> > now; in fact, you might want to even disable the graphical login screen
> > (add "exit 0" as the first non-comment line in the appropriate script:
> > /etc/init.d/gdm or kdm or xdm or wdm and then reboot). Get the mouse
> > working in the non-X console first via gpm. Once that's working, then
> > you can worry about X.
>
> Did the above, X is now disabled and boots to the command line.
>
> > If I remember correctly, you said this mouse works fine in Windows on
> > the same box. I guess that means the mouse has not been
> > unplugged/replugged, with the attendant possibilities of broken/bent
> > pins, bad connection, etc?
>
> I turned off both of my machines, and took the PS/2 scroll mouse off the
> Mandrake unit, and installed it on the dual boot Debian unit. Then booted
> them both up again. The one that I took off the Debian unit, that was not
> working there, worked fine on the Mandrake unit. The one I took off the
> Mandrake machine is stationary on the Debian unit.

Are the mice the same make/model?

> > In the text console, using gpm, you should see a white rectangle as your
> > mouse pointer. It should function just as a pointer should, only it'll
> > be rectangular instead of pointy. Do not try to configure gpm from
> > within X! Get out of X completely to do this. Kill X. Exit X. Do not
> > start X. Forget X. Ex X.
>
> I now have a white rectangle but it is stationary on the screen.

This is a bit of a long shot, and I would expect it to be resulting in
uncontrollable rather than zero pointer movement, but perhaps your
mouse has a weird protocol... though I still don't see why Mandrake
would be OK and Debian not, but still... Can you send me a sample of
your mouse's raw output and I'll have a look to see if it looks like a
recognised protocol? Do this...

1) Be in console mode, with gpm stopped (I don't use gpm myself, but
   I'd guess '/etc/init.d/gpm stop' as root should stop it)
2) Do the 'cat /dev/psaux' trick to make sure the hardware's working
3) Take the mouse ball out, so you can move the little rollers that it
   runs against with your finger
4) Issue the command: cat /dev/psaux > /tmp/mousedata &
   - you'll get a number in square brackets and a longer number
   without brackets
5) Move the mouse's horizontal roller with your finger, first one way
   then the other
6) Move the mouse's vertical roller with your finger, first one way
   then the other
7) Click the buttons twice each, in the order left, right, middle
8) Move the scroll wheel first one way then the other
9) Issue the command: echo -ne '\377' > /dev/psaux
10) Issue the command: echo -ne '\364' > /dev/psaux
11) Repeat steps 5 to 8
12) Kill the cat - kill <number> where <number> is the number
    without the brackets from step 4 - you should get a 'Terminated'
        message
13) Email me the file /tmp/mousedata

--
Pigeon