On Monday 25 August 2003 11:09 pm, Kent West wrote:

> Okay, so we know for sure the mouse is okay. And if either mouse works
> on Windows on the "Debian box", we can assume the ps/2 port is okay.
> Which leaves software.
>
> I see two basic possibilities:
>  1) kernel issues
>  2) gpm issues
>
> I believe you said earlier that "cat /dev/psaux" generated garbage as
> expected, which pretty much eliminates kernel issues. Still, you might
> be interested in upgrading the kernel (assuming you have 2.2.20 - "uname
> -a" will report it for you).
>
> More likely, your problem is with gpm (or X, when we get there). Again,
> I see two basic possibilities:
>  1) older version of gpm not working right with that particular mouse
>  2) wrong settings in gpm.
>
> The older version issue is probably not the case; ps/2 mice have been
> around quite a while. However, you might consider upgrading to unstable
> if this isn't a box that needs 24x7 uptime (or five 9s - 99.999%).
>
> Mostly likely the protocol is wrong. I don't remember; is this a wheel
> mouse? If so, try "fuimps2". You can also type "help" when asked for the
> type during "gpmconfig" for a list of other protocols to try. Experiment
> and see if you get any motion.

If we had web cams you could see an old geezer dancing a slightly arthritic
jig. Clicked on "help" as you suggested. Tried one, forget which, did not
work, and then I tried "fuimps2" and tested it. Bumped the mouse accidentally
and it moved. Nearly fell off my chair!! After five days, there finally is
movement.

What is next, restart X windows?

Bill.