Thanks, Adrian.  I was sure that it wasn't just the firewall at this
point - that it was necessary to kill eth1 to get eth0 fully functional.
I was wrong.

This is now just a firewall problem.  And this is a "handcrafted" beast,
with lotsa rules.  I wouldn't dream (well, not yet anyway) of asking anyone
else to find the wart.

Regrettably, I have a fire to put out - one of the ongoing experiments that
we support is in dire need of some hardware we are developing - so I will
have to defer that (and some clarification/simplification of the firewall)
until after our hardware is out the door.

Thanks again!

        -Frank