On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:53:09 +1000,
Corey Ralph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 02:54  PM, amg wrote:
> > Can I essentially:
> > -"detach" my debian-installed drives
> > -attach a "blank" drive (it would be the last IDE slot)
> > -install XP onto that disk (letting XP muck around with the MBR (on
> > it's
> > own drive))
> > -re-attach the debian drives (leaving the XP drive attached, at the
> > end of the drive order)
>
> That should all be fine, as long as XP doesn't get upset about the
> changed order of the disks.

..if it does get cranky etc, let it squeal etc itself onto /dev/hda,
on reboot reclaim the master boot record, edit /etc/fstab to reflect
your debian disks new home, and set up your boot loader to boot all
from the /dev/hda MBR.  Newer boxes allow several boot devices,
so a bootloader in all disks bootloaders, will boot ok until all
boot devices die.

> > -add some information to LILO (to point to the newly installed XP
> > system)
>
> See the bottom of the default /etc/lilo.conf, it has an example of
> booting another OS.  Basically you want something like:
>
> other=/dev/hdb1
>    label="Win XP"

..to hop to and between other bootloaders, use
"other=/dev/hda
        label="/dev/hda
other=/dev/hdb
        label="/dev/hdb
other=/dev/hdc
        label="/dev/hdc" etc, on each disk in lilo, for grub,
"label" becomes "title", man|info grub for details.

> Everything else in there should be fine as-is.  Then run lilo.

..heh, I had no need to touch grub the last 3 kernel updates. ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: