On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 01:02:11 +0900, tomoya TAKAGI wrote:
> Hello.
>
> X does not start on sid.
> Does anyone know how to solve this problem, or which source should I refer to?
>
> == Situation ==
> I installed squeeze using netinst CD with minimal components,
> then upgraded to sid modifying my apt-line from squeeze to unstable.
>
> After that, I installed X.org:
> # aptitude install read-edid mdetect xorg twm xterm
>
> Installation succeeded. But X fails to start:
> --------------------------8<--------------------------
> $ startx

[...]

> X.Org X Server 1.6.1.901 (1.6.2 RC 1)
> Release Date: 2009-5-8
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.26-2-686 i686 Debian
> Current Operating System: Linux debian 2.6.29-2-686 #1 SMP Sun May 17
> 17:56:29 UTC 2009 i686
> Build Date: 14 May 2009  05:49:41PM
> xorg-server 2:1.6.1.901-2

[...]

> SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> > Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> >                   Ignoring extra symbols
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> Dropping master
> ^C
> waiting for X server to shut down
>
> xinit:  unexpected signal 2.
> --------------------------8<--------------------------
>
> The screen is entirely black, and it shows nothing.
> But I could return to console using [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1].
> So my available choice was only to push ^C to abort.

Go to one of the other consoles and check the status of twm (e.g. with
"ps -ef | grep twm"). Also, are there any clues in ~/.xsession-errors?

> Some of my configuration is as follows:
> $ cat ~/.xsession
> exec twm

What happens if you just put "xterm" into that file (also try ~/.xinitrc
instead)?

[ snip: I did not notice anything unusual in your xorg.conf, your xorg
  log and your list of installed packages. ]

> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated
> Graphics Controller (rev 02)

          Florian   |