Jochen Schulz <m...@well-adjusted.de> writes:

> Paul E Condon:
>>
>> I have several USB hard drives (ones with rotating machinery inside,
>> not solid state 'disks'). From time to time I need to perform format
>> maintenance on one of them. In order to do this, I look in /dev to see
>> what device name has been assigned to the drive, umount it, and do
>> whatever - e2fsck, tune2fs, etc. But when I'm finish doing
>> maintenance, how to I remount it without pulling the USB cable,
>
> The actions you listed change neither the partition layout nor
> filesystem UUIDs, so you should be able to just mount it again, using
> the same device name or UUID as before.

I've faced the same problem yesterday, and I was not able to solve
it. When I mount/umount manually a device, I am able to mount it
again. But if I mount it in kde, and then ask to safely remove device,
then the device files pointing to the partitions are no longer in /dev/;
and even the device pointing to the whole disk (e.g. /dev/sdf) raises an
error when I do a simple `file -s /dev/sdf`.