For me it happens every time I boot up the laptop -- it does not
automatically connect to my wireless network. Apart from not
automatically connecting network manager works perfectly, detects all
the wireless networks, connects to my network when I click on it, so it
feels more like a configuration issue than a driver one. I'm running
Debian stable, when I was running testing recently on the same laptop it
_was_ automatically re-connecting.

The laptop in question is an OLPC XO-1 running DebXO, a build of debian
for the XO-1 with a custom kernel. I tried the ifconfig and iwconfig
commands but I don't seem to have them installed. Not sure about
installing wireless tools and whether they might mess with network
manager.