On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 13:53, Bernard <bdebr...@teaser.fr> wrote:
> Hi to Everyone !
>
> How can I learn how to make first steps in PHP ?
>
> I run Debian Lenny, and I lately got acquainted with MySQL : I installed a
> server on my system, built a few databases there, using basic SQL scripts. I
> also learnt to manage those MySQL databases with OpenOffice.org_base.
>
> Now, I wish to try managing those MySQL bases from a web page that would
> contain PHP scripts. I have found a short document, a kind of a FAQ, that
> explains a few PHP basics, still I miss some down-to-Earth knowledges :
>
> Have I got to install one or more Debian packages for PHP ?  '$apt-cache
> search PHP' gives too many results for a choice. If the MySQL server and
> databases end up to the webspace that my Internet Provider allows to me, I
> suppose that the PHP interpreter and/or compiler will have to be there, not
> on my system ?   Still, I suppose that I must install something locally so
> as to be able to send meaningfull commands using appropriate scripts ?
>  Prior to run tests on distant web space, I first wish to carry trials with
> connexions to my local mysql server.

I am not a PHP dev, but I believe installing "php5", "php5-mysql" and
"mysql-server" should drag in most of what you need to get started
(including libapache2-mod-php5, mysql-client, etc). This would let you
do any/all testing locally. You could do it all on the web server with an
ssh session, if you wanted to though (you wouldn't do that with an in
use service, but if you only set it up for testing, it's fine).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers