Andrew Reid wrote:
On Monday 21 December 2009 15:52:29 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 internal ATA HDD's and 2 disks in external USB enclosures.

When you boot (this is Sid) the 2 USB disks report their presence
between the messages:

and
'Init 2.86 booting'
in the very beginning of the boot process.

Now the funny part: in my homegrown kernel both show up together. But
with recent Debian kernel images only one shows up. I have a delay of 10
secs. in initramfs-tools but that makes no difference.

The 2nd USB disk shows up eventually, but after 'Init 2.86 booting' when
it is too late to be of use by fstab.

This isn't the first time I've asked this, but nobody seems to have an
answer.

  It's likely the devices aren't being recognized in the initramfs --
possibly they require kernel modules which are not present by default.

But I would think that to be the case of the custom kernel, not the Debian kernel. The small custom kernel recognizes both USB drives, the Debian kernel recognizes only one of them.

If you know which modules drive these devices, add them by name to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules (one module per line, I think), and
re-generate your initramfs with update-initramfs.  This should allow
the udev scan in the initramfs to see the devices, and set them
up earlier.

I have no idea, except to compare both initrd images.

"Init 2.86 booting" is a very important milestone in the boot process, it marks the transition from initramfs activity to root file-system activity. Anything you want to do *before* that
has to be in the initramfs.

Or, as the other responder mentioned, you can just stick with a custom kernel. I used to do that, but I like getting security
updates.

                                        -- A.