Thanks for your explanation.

Do I have to install ssh?
Yes. But that's easy, as there's no configuration involved.

I'm immediately searching shops for a crosslink cable, but then how do I "set
the networks on both computers appropriately"?
If you use eg. network manager or wicd, you can use the gui-config tools that come with these programmes. Else you have to set /etc/networks/interfaces (see man interfaces) Use either the 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x range, these ranges are for private use. Configure eg the two pc's as
192.168.0.1, netmask 255.255.255.0
192.168.0.2, netmask 255.255.255.0
And then you can connect from 192.168.0.1 with `ssh 192.168.0.2' and vice versa. Yet, I still recommend buying a router (eg. a linksys) and use dhcp to configure the stuff. Such a router also allows sharing the internet connection, firewalling your private network and so on. On the config page of such routers you can usually statically set the dhcp-lease, so the ip's don't change. Some also have a dns server, so you can actually name the pc's and ssh with the name you've set in the dns. If you like to experiment, buy a router that allows running Openwrt or Debian for the arm processor. Then you have a complete linux running on your router and you can control even more. Yet, considering that you currently don't know how to connect two computers this might be a step too far.

Sorry for my ignorance, but as I said, though I've been using Debian for some
years now, I've never managed two computers together before.
NP

Sjoerd