On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:33:16 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> While running cfdisk, it lists various file system types. Is there a
> document which explains the difference between similar file systems?

It should be... but I have found nothing but excerpts:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-Partitioning-EN-Partitions-attributes

> In particular, if I want to have a windows XP type of filesystem, do I
> go with "07 HPFS/NTFS" or "86 NTFS volume set" or "87 NTFS volume set"?

07, as per the above link. But I would create a NTFS partition from a
Windows native system, if possible.

> Similarly, If I want to create FAT32 partition so that I can exchange
> files between windows and Linux, should I go with "0B W95 FAT32" or
> ""w95 FAT32" ""w95 FAT32 (LBA)"
>
> What are the advantages in choosing one over the other? I tried to
> google, /usr/share/doc/util-linux etc., but could not find anything
> useful.

As Memnon already pointed out, I think "w95 FAT32 (LBA)" adds
compatibility with bigger hard disks. It would require a BIOS with that
capability, also.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón