On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:25:45 -0400 (EDT), Curt Howland wrote:

> Hi. Up to date Squeeze, compiling the latest 2.6.36-rc4 kernel.
>
> Last time the problem was compiling the kernel at all, which is
> working just fine now thank you Debian-User.
>
> fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version -curt1.0 --initrd kernel_image
>
> creates the .deb file just fine, it installs fine, but when I run it
> and try to get the VirtualBox and Nvidia drivers to compile, this is
> what I get:
>
> from vbox-installer.log
>
> ==========
> Makefile:170: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version 2.6.36-rc4) does not
> match the current kernel (version 2.6.36-rc4-curt1.0).  Stop.
> ==========
>
> The thing is, there is no such error with 2.6.35.4-curt1.0, nor when
> it was 35-rc4-curt1.0.
>
> So why would it be choking on the custom extension now? I used
> _exactly_ the same compile command, listed above.

Curt,

I can't address your specific situation, but perhaps my kernel-building
web page

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

will be helpful to you.  I have a specific example now for building
Nvidia drivers, which is covered near the end of the document under
the heading, "A specific example".  Perhaps your virtualbox problems
can be solved in a similar manner.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :