On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 23:51 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
> bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
> driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
> mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.

This thread may have gone to crazy town.

Anything remotely modern can do this.

Any ATI card, x1950 and older is virtually guaranteed excellent support
by free drivers available in Debian.  They are abundant and inexpensive
on the used market, and available in AGP versions.

In fact, many of these cards are so cheap you are actually better off
looking for the best 3D you can find.  It is not cheaper to eschew 3D
features.  A 2D only card will cost you the same, and may come with some
speed issues due to age.  If you're ordering from someone / somewhere
online, inexpensive shipping can cost as much as the card itself.

I upgraded a computer recently, with Debian Squeeze, away from slow
integrated graphics to a PCIE ATI x600.  I doubt it could do any modern
gaming, but it runs compiz and shows video smoothly on a 1680x1050
monitor.  The total cost was $15 USD, and the user couldn't be happier.

Do the best you can with what you have.  If you don't know if your
resolution is supported by a card, google is your friend.