On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 07:53:19AM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
[...]
> With Ubuntu 10.04, and even more so with Meercat and now with this, it
> seems like Ubuntu has jumped on the crazy train.  I hope they don't get
> *too* far away from Debian, for dozens of reasons, but it might be
> interesting to see what happens.  In the meantime, I hope Debian remains
> stable and reliable.
>
> I like GNOME and LXDE, and Unity doesn't particularly excite me. Perhaps
> I've become stodgy.

There are three approaches to this sort of thing:

1) Everything I want and need I have. Maintain the status quo so I can use
   my tools instead of adapting to changes in them.

2) If it's new, I want to play with it, try it out, and improve it. Tried
   and true is great and all, but it can always be better.

3) I don't feel a pressing need for this new stuff, but if something
   compelling comes along that requires it, I could be convinced.

Most people fall into that third category. I'm one of them. I use an older
version of Vim because I want to stay on (mostly) stable. The features of
the newer versions aren't quite compelling enough to go through maintaining
a testing/unstable mix. A few more useful features (especially since I use
a newer Vim on Windows and Cygwin/X11 at work), though, and I might go for
it.

When and if an application comes along that only has a Wayland/Unity GUI
that a lot of people really, really want, there will be people interested
in making Wayland and Unity work, work well, and work seamlessly on Debian.
(I'm not certain, but I have a sneaky suspicion that a lot of the drive
behind making Java easier to install and manage on Debian was Azureus, and
the desire to silence the unending stream of questions about how to get
things working as a result.) Personally, I'll wait and see.

--Greg