On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:55:09 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Camaleón:
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 13:33:56 +0100, Michael Schmitt wrote:
>>> 2010/11/9 Camaleón
>>>
>>> I myself would prefer to keep X11
>>
>> I see not good technical reason for introducing the change. At least
>> not nowadays.
>
> I am not an X window programmer (don't even know C), but my impression
> is that X has quite a few design warts that many people would love to
> get rid of. And you cannot really blame X for that, it's more than 25
> years old and was designed at a time where GUIs were still quite
> uncommon.

Yes, but people's wishes tend to go faster than developers achivements
and today there are many applications which depend/rely on Xorg/X11 and
porting them to play fine with another display system requires time (and
not just to play fine but to be stable and provinding the same
capabilities that currently are there).

> I cannot judge whether Wayland is in any way better, though.

Me neither, but it is still at alpha stage (well, this is said from a
person -me- who still uses grub legacy because is robust, well-known and
mature). I mean, I'm a bit conservative :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón