In <20110209223754.5fa03...@ws82.int.tlc>, Dan Serban wrote:
>I ask.  What is the "real" ... "accepted" ... and "suggested" method that I
>follow, I don't understand why kernel-package looks deprecated, or what
>have you, but any information would be appreciated.

If you want to use Debian's configuration and Debian's patches I'd look into
downloading the source package and modifying it, but that can be a daunting
task; there are a number of Debian-isms to learn along the way.  Once you
know what you are doing, you can update the debian/changelog, use a target in
debian/rules to prepare a .orig.tar, and use dpkg-buildpkg to get a set of
binary packages that are significantly similar to the ones from the kernel
packaging team.

If you just want a .deb to install, I've heard there's a makefile target in
the kernel tarball that works fine.  I believe but can't confirm that the
.debs generated by the makefile in the kernel tarball will properly invoke
the postint scripts that are used to update grub.cfg, menu.lst, or the lilo
boot sector.

The wiki has some pretty good information, too:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelCustomCompilation

All of those pages seem to reference:
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/
Specifically:
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html
which I'm pretty sure is the official documentation produced by the Debian
Linux Kernel packaging team.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))