On 2011-02-10 09:18 +0100, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> If you just want a .deb to install, I've heard there's a makefile target in
> the kernel tarball that works fine.

That target is called deb-pkg, i.e. you type "make deb-pkg" and get a
nice Debian package.

> I believe but can't confirm that the
> .debs generated by the makefile in the kernel tarball will properly invoke
> the postint scripts that are used to update grub.cfg, menu.lst, or the lilo
> boot sector.

The maintainer scripts in the generated package just run the hooks under
/etc/kernel.d, in Squeeze and later those should take care of generating
an initramfs, updating the bootloader's configuration etc.

Sven