On Lu, 21 feb 11, 20:49:49, Peter Tynan wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> >On Lu, 21 feb 11, 12:59:56, Petrus Validus wrote:
> >
> >This one of the better "innovation" brought by Gmail, if used correctly.
> >
> >Unfortunately it's not very usable via IMAP. Example:
> >How do I tell mutt to tag the message as read in All Mail when I delete
> >it (archive in Gmail speak) from Inbox?
>
> My solution (not sure if solution is the right word bu hey ho...) is
> that nothing is untagged (remember that 'Inbox' is just a tag).  If
> something is deleted it is gone, if I want to keep something but not
> have it littering up my Inbox a tag is applied and it is the
> archived.

Hmm, as far as I understand, a message is always present in [Gmail]/All
Mail', unless moved to [Gmail]/Trash or [Gmail]/Spam. New mail (not
filtered) goes to my Inbox. If I want to get rid of it for good I move
it to [Gmail]/Trash, but if I want to "archive" it I just delete the
Inbox tag for it, since the mail still has the All Mail tag.

Maybe this is mutt specific, but if I just delete the mail from Inbox in
All Mail the message is still marked as unread (a.k.a new). If I mark it
as read and sync, then it's also marked as read in All Mail. I assume
Gmail takes the delete from Inbox command quite literally and doesn't
also mark the message as read first.

I guess I can write a macro to remap 'd' to
<toggle-new><sync-mailbox><delete-message> instead...

> On a slightly different note does anybody know the correct FCC to
> move sent items to Googles 'sent' folder, at the moment I have the
> somewhat unsatisfactory arrangement of stuff sent by Alpine ending
> up in a separate folder.

If you send via Gmail's SMTP you always have a copy in Gmail's sent, so
it should be enough to tell alpine not to save its own copy.

Regards,
Andrei