On Ma, 22 feb 11, 09:18:12, Petrus Validus wrote:
> > > I interpret the "if used correctly" bit to mean "using the GMail web
> > > interface, not a 3rd party client such as Evolution or Mutt."  Am I
> > > correct in this interpretation?
> >
> > No, I mean, AFAICT, IMAP was not designed for this paradigm (same
> > message present in different folders/tags/views/whatever).
>
> I've also come to that conclusion.  I think we're saying the same thing
> just different words (maybe?).  It looks like to me this paradigm was
> designed for use on Gmail's own interface and that's it.

It's not impossible, but you'd have to (re)design the IMAP client around
Gmail. Example:

The client only ever downloads full messages in a local copy of 'All
Mail', 'Spam' and 'Trash'. It the user wants to see messages in 'Inbox'
(a.k.a messages with the 'Inbox' tag) it only downloads the headers and
compares by msg-id to the messages in 'All Mail'.

I wonder if the clients designed by Google work this way...

Regards,
Andrei