Hi,

Paul Fraser wrote:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:41, Nate Bargmann <n...@n0nb.us <mailto:n...@n0nb.us>> wrote:

    Not only that but as we move to IPv6 there is no such thing as NAT.

Oh, how I wish that were true... The IPv6 spec includes NAT.

Well .... NAT does have it's advantages, one being that it can act as a reasonably good barrier as a NATural firewall. Sure, it's not perfect, but if you have every device with IPv6 (or v4 for that matter) being addressable from any location, then personal firewalls will become much more important.

An unpatched machine [for whatever reason], behind NAT has a fighting chance, but one which is directly addressable from the Internet is much more vulnerable to attack.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan