On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> An unpatched machine [for whatever reason], behind NAT has a
> fighting chance, but one which is directly addressable from the

The protection offered by NAT is equivalent to a statefull firewall that
only allow sessions to be initiated by the inside[1]  Only, a firewall is
likely to do a better job of securing the network than a NAT gateway.

Nobody ever proposed directly attaching networks to the wide internet
without border protection.  That has nothing to do with NAT.

And that "unpatched machine" has no fighting chance at all, NAT or no NAT,
unless:

 1. none of its inside neighbours will attack it
 2. all the upgrade paths are safe
 3. nothing else is done while it is upgrading itself.

(2) can be quite difficult if any of the important software wants to open a
browser, and there are ads in the pages for example.  (3) depends on user
awareness.

[1] iptables -I FORWARD -i <external interface> -m conntrack --ctstate
NEW -j DROP  (or something like that).

  Henrique Holschuh