you're asking pretty broad questions, however...

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802...@jasonhsu.com> wrote:

> Since I'm looking for a job as a Linux IT consultant, I need a portfolio of
> favorite server applications - firewall, DHCP server, mail server, print
> server, etc.  Just as I have favorite distros for the desktop (Puppy Linux,
> Linux Mint, antiX/Swift Linux) and favorite desktop applications (like
> OpenOffice and Sylpheed), I should have favorite server applications.
>
> I can tell you about one application I don't like: the Firehol firewall
> program.  It's pre-installed in antiX Linux.  Every time I boot up or start
> this program, I get an error message about get-iana.sh.  I did a Google
> search and tried some of the suggestions I found but still couldn't get
> Firehol working properly.  I'd rather use something that doesn't require so
> much tweaking.  I'm looking for an alternative for Swift Linux (
> www.swiftlinux.org, the distro I started).
>
> I'd like to hear what you use and why.  Some of the criteria I'm looking
> for are:
> 1.  Security: Any client I work for will need a very secure system,
> ESPECIALLY one that does financial work, does business over the Internet, or
> has intellectual property.

snort, splunk (semi commercial log monitoring), selinux, (it should go
without saying, but learn everything about) ssh, /etc/shaddow and pam,
closing ports / turning off services, logrotate.

> 2.  Stability and reliability: Since a downed server affects the whole
> company and not just one employee, I understand this is of paramount
> importance as well.

i've already covered this pretty verbosely in another thread earlier today.

> 3.  Popular: If an application is widely used, then there's more help
> available, and the more likely the Debian developers are to support it.

???

> 4.  Consistent from one version to the next: Since I'm obligated to keep
> everything up-to-date for clients, I want an application that doesn't change
> that radically from one version to the next.  I know better than to expect a
> smooth upgrade process for even Debian Stable, much less other distros.

most things should be pretty consistent (it's why i don't use python :) )

> 5.  Well-supported by the Debian developers: I don't want to use a
> particular application, only to find when I upgrade that it's no longer
> supported.

all applications have a chance of going out of style - look at windows'
fileman... no longer there since '95. however, bash, bind, vi, emacs, gcc,
perl, and a few others may be on unix for a long long time.

> 6.  Easy to use: This criteria is the reason I don't use minimal Debian on
> the desktop.  Of course, I may have to make some sacrifices on this
> criterion in favor of more of the above.

i don't know what you mean here. are you looking for strictly gui front-ends
to server apps?

> 7.  Lightweight operation: I want something reasonably lightweight, but I'm
> willing to compromise on this criterion in favor of more of the above.

lightweight? depends on what you're doing. sqlite is lightweight until you
try to process a million records. then it might bring a system to a crawl
whereas mysql / postgresql should handle that million records without an
issue. oh, and telnet is lightweight compared to ssh, but i won't be caught
dead using telnet.