On 2011-03-12 17:25:03, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:02:50AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> > important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> > Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> > quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
> >
> > Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> > than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

Make sure you tweak the settings (codecs, bandwidth) before giving
up on Ekiga.  That said Ekiga seems unstable on Windows at least
it freezes for my sister when we try to get it going with my
Linux machine.

When I worked with VoIP we used Xten's soft phone on Windows.  I
think they call it X-Lite now.  It is proprietary software but
open protocol (unlike Skype).

There a list of clients on the Ekiga site that might be of
interest to you:
<http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_Interoperability>

/Allan
--