On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM, shawn wilson <ag4ve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2011 6:13 AM, "Tom H" <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've suggested the use of update-rc.d and invoke-rc.d here and on
>> ubuntu-users and been told that they're not meant for users/sysadmins.
>> I hope that your link (thanks; I'll check it out later today) explains
>> why, because I've never seen any bad effects from their use.
>
> To all curious about these things, I suggest searching this list for
> 'update-rc.d' or even Google that with 'site:' and look at the discussions
> we've had in the past few months. Some people have made some very insightful
> comments in these threads (IIRC ~3 good threads in the past 6 months).

Thanks. I think that we covered just about every aspect in a thread
started by Camaleon in November or December last year.

The only half-explanation that update-rc.d isn't meant for sysadmins
that I've seen (somewhere) is that its syntax makes it more
appropriate for scripts.

>From what I remember from the "Camaleon thread" and what I've read
today in the debian-devel posted earlier in thread, using
update-rc.d's disable option seems to be a good way to disable a
service, if you're prepared to use a tool apparently only meant for
maintainers. Furthermore, there are some doubts about enable/disable,
see [1]. So, unless this "unstability" has been dealt with, there are
two possible strikes against "update-rc.d service-name disable".

But, basically, there doesn't seem to be a canonical way for a
sysadmin to disable a service. And that leaves changing a service's
runlevels rather than disabling it; update-rc.d fails, even with "-f".

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=606505#12