I'm not sure this is a bug or a problem with me, so I'm posting it here so I
don't clutter up bug triaging with something which may not be an issue.
Here's my problem.

In spite of my earlier post ('Why does Linux crash?') I can every so often
CTRL+ALT+F# my way into a shell to recover a broken X.  I restart X by typing
'sudo service kdm restart' (Although I don't think the fact that I'm using KDE
is relevant) and I go cheerfully back to KDM's login screen.

So I log in correctly but I notice that I'm not connected to my wireless
network.  Network Manager runs just fine, shows my devices correctly, and even
shows my wireless network with perfect strength.  All the pieces are there but
it just won't connect.  Hoping that, maybe, it's just KDE that's broken, I
drop back into tty1 and try to ping out.  Again, nothing.

I've tried 'sudo service network-manager restart' and 'sudo service networking
restart' thinking that maybe it's choked and needs restarting.  Neither of
those work, though.  When I 'sudo reboot', everything works again.  So, what
am I doing wrong or what should my bug report say?

With thanks,