* prad <p...@towardsfreedom.com> [2011-06-06 09:23:08 -0700]:

> in the past we've had two partitions:
> /
> /data
> into the latter went home, www, mail and we'd softlink from the
> appropriate places. the nice thing about this setup has always been that
> when we upgraded or tried a different system there wasn't any data
> copying to do.
>
> now we've been experimenting with xfs on which there will be openvs
> containers to run the web/mail servers. containers go into /var/lib/vz
> and we're thinking of keeping them in a separate partition
> too. additionally, we've split things up so there are partitions for
> /usr /usr/local /tmp /home and so on.
>
> so i'm musing over whether to have a /data partition as before - it
> doesn't seem to make quite the same sense at this stage. however, when
> it comes time to change to the next debian, i keep thinking having the
> data separate may be an advantage.
>
> do people have favorite partitioning schemes with appropriate
> justifications for them?

In the past, I've done something simmilar, especially on multi-drive
systems. I will usuaully have root (/) on a small raid1 mirror (hard or
soft, your choice.) And then do soemthing simmilar w/ /data, whereas
/data is running an LVM ontop of the RAID1 array for dynamic partitions.

When in doubt, install the system entirely to (/) and then copy over any
persistant data to newly created partitions with in the LVM group.
Recently, I put together a squeeze system running XFS, this is my layout:

ch...@leviathan.xaerolimit.net:~$ sudo pvs; sudo vgs; sudo lvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sda2  swap lvm2 a-    11.17g      0
  /dev/sda4  tank lvm2 a-    41.18g   3.18g
  /dev/sdb1  swap lvm2 a-    11.17g      0
  /dev/sdb2  tank lvm2 a-    63.37g  13.37g
  /dev/sdc1  tank lvm2 a-   149.05g 149.05g
  /dev/sdd1  tank lvm2 a-   232.88g 232.88g
  /dev/sde1  tank lvm2 a-   465.76g 465.76g
  VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
  swap   2   1   0 wz--n-  22.34g      0
  tank   5   7   0 wz--n- 952.23g 864.23g
  LV        VG   Attr   LSize  Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  swap      swap -wi-ao 22.34g
  distfiles tank -wi-a- 10.00g
  home      tank -wi-ao 50.00g
  opt       tank -wi-ao  5.00g
  portage   tank -wi-a-  1.00g
  tmp       tank -wi-ao  2.00g
  usr       tank -wi-ao 10.00g
  var       tank -wi-ao 10.00g
ch...@leviathan.xaerolimit.net:~$  mount
/dev/sda3 on / type xfs (rw)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-home on /home type xfs (rw,grpquota,usrquota)
/dev/mapper/tank-opt on /opt type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-tmp on /tmp type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-usr on /usr type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-var on /var type xfs (rw)
ch...@leviathan.xaerolimit.net:~$