On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 14:14:06 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:

> vigr aside, the sudo group does nothing by default. You don't need to
> be in it

As I've just discovered. On my Wheezy xfce4 box I'd never got round to
enabling Shutdown and Restart for a user. It turns out installing sudo
is all I have to do. No membership of the sudo group at all, Which is
what I've seen advised. (I've also seen it recommended to be a member of
the powerdev group, but I'm not).

So it's mystifying! All users get to shutdown the machine if sudo is on
the it.

Why don't you need to be in the group sudo?

> unless you've uncommented the line in sudoers to allow members of that
> group to do as they please. I don't recommend that use (v. little
> difference between that and running as root).

The %sudo line in /etc/sudoers is uncommented by default.