On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 13:46, Perry Thompson <ryperven...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi all. I am using Debian Wheezy with Xfce4. After some testing with
> different DMs, I decided to start X from a tty using "startx". I was
> told in the Debian IRC channel that it works fine by just removing all DMs.
>
> I enjoy using my computer this way, however I am unable to...
>
> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
> custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
> and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.

Don't know about xfce, but as an alternative, if you have consolekit
installed, then the following commands can be used to shutdown and
reboot without needing root privileges.  I forget where I got them
from, but they work for me (I startx with openbox and no DM).

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" \
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.<action>

where <action> is either Stop for shutdown or Restart for a reboot.  I
put them in a script and call them from the openbox menu

HTH