On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 00:58 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 11/06/11 17:11, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Lisi wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:57:17 +0100
> >> From: Lisi <lisi.re...@gmail.com>
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Cc: Bret Busby <b...@busby.net>
> >> Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting
> >> mirrors
> >>      found
> >>
> >> On Saturday 11 June 2011 07:33:19 Bret Busby wrote:
> >> [snip]>
> >>
> >> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/dirresults.html?s=monitor%204:3&f=monitore%204:3
> >>

> >> As you see, a large number of 4:3 monitors is still available in the
> >> U.K..
> >> Surely at least one of them is available in Australia??
> >>
> >> Lisi
> >>

> > Hello.
> >
> > I had been basing the unavailability, on the mainstream retailers, where
> > I have not seen 4:3 monitors, for many months (or a year or so), now.
> >
> > Your message has caused me to do what I should have done long ago -
> > search on the Internet, whereby I have found a number of used monitors
> > that are available within Perth (the state capital) in Western Australia
> > (the eastern states are thousands of miles away).
> >
> > So, you have revived my hope in beaing able to buy another 4:3 TFT monitor.
> >
> > Thank you for your assistance in this.
> >
> > --
> > Bret Busby
> > Armadale
> > West Australia
> >
> > "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> >  you'll know what the answer means."
> > - Deep Thought,
> >   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> >   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> >   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> >   written by Douglas Adams,
> >   published by Pan Books, 1992

> Try "Charity Computers" at Mandurah Muscateers Mandurah
> U2/ 3 Rafferty Rd Mandurah musc...@bigpond.net.au they get funding from
> Microsoft and the Federal government (Digital Divide Project) to recycle
> computers. You should be able to pick one up very cheaply. If you
> recieve any sort of government payment (or know someone who does) you
> can pick up a complete P4 for about $100 - just remove Windoof.
>
> Alternatively you could just ask at your local LUG - mine always has
> people giving away large, working pieces of kit. And given the $50+
> charge to dispose of them - people tend to dump them outside Op shops -
> which are not allowed to sell electrical item (so they like you taking
> them).
> There's also http://allclassifieds.com.au and the local tip... we try
> and make a trip there just after Xmas, and the end of June, with a
> screwdriver and a box full of anti-static bags. There's usually a
> special area for computers and monitors - with strict rules about not
> removing them.... (I feign blindness).
>
> The last CRT rolled off the assembly line in 2009 from memory. Sony
> Trinitrons in good nick are now worth more than when they were made. A
> [...]

In Germany so called "Sperrmüll" (bulk garbage) once a month can be put
out to the siedwalks, at least in the Ruhrgebiet. I got very good
computer equipment from the bulg garbage, since nobody e.g. wishes to
have a very good large screen but short size CRT monitor, without any
defects, absolutely clean, or a very good keyboard, without folderol.
People prefer bad elcheapo displays from the supermarket, bad keyboards
with all kinds of remote folderol instead. Here in Germany it's easier
to get good computer equipment from the garbage, than brand new from a
supermarket. Most people use computers as a toy, they don't have any
usage, thy just need the toy with the highest numbers, e.g. better 8 GB
RAM, than 4 GB RAM for a 32-bit Windows without PAE :D.