On Wednesday 24 September 2003 20:59, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:19:10PM +1200, cr wrote:
> > ... having just recovered from another screaming encounter with dselect.
> > If I ever have to face that Debian installer again I'll...  I'll...
>
> dselect is not what people usually mean when they talk about the Debian
> installer ...

I appreciate that dselect is only part of the install process, albeit the
largest part timewise if one uses it.  What makes it frustrating is that,
while working through the huge list of apps in dselect (which isn't the most
intuitive piece of software ever written  ;)    it's only too easy to
'finish' with it prematurely**, at which point the installer asks 'Continue
Y/n'    with no 'Back' option to re-enter dselect.    It's the combination of
the two that's so unforgiving.

( **  The dselect package selection interface is confusing or even alarming
to a new user.      -    man dselect   :)

I'd say dselect is probably okay for selecting a few apps.    Working through
an entire install list with it is a daunting task.    As I said, next time
(if there is a next time :)  I'll just use tasksel, install what it selects,
and then do the fine tuning afterwards with kpackage.

cr