On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:21:11AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Ping is an ICMP (internet control message protocol) and rsync and
> unison both use TCP.  So not different ports but completely different
> protocols.  Both are part of IP (Internet Protocol).

Got it, not thinking clearly :-) I was actually thinking in something
like an iptables rule blocking selectively either of them, and mixed
that with ports. But of course, no rules currently active :-(

> > Would it make sense? (I undertand unison uses rsync, or a version of
> > it, to synchronize files, and rsync works, so I'd think that copying
> > files with unison should work too, if it were a port problem...)
>
> I agree that if ssh and rsync is working then unison should work too.
> And so with this I am exhausted of ideas for you.

Fine, thanks for the attempt. Weird problem, and it's been a long day.
I'll have to make a few more systematic and controlled experiments
tomorrow.

Victor