On 28/08/11 18:37, yudi v wrote:

<snipped>

    my system IP for ppp0 is 101.***.***.*** and it's not static.

but from what I can remember all postpaid accounts in Australia have
10.***.***.*** addresses and are behind NAT.

I've yet to see any (non-SLA business class) USB UMTS modems by any of the major Oz companies pre-paid or post-paid that don't use that arrangement.

The only way I could SSH
was/by reverse port forwarding.

http://myip.dk/ will give you the remote access address. Just ssh to the displayed address. I'd suggest you try - it's easier than just believing everything you read on whirlpool. The signal to noise ratio there can be bad. Exetel have good tech support - Vodaphail don't even know where their towers are - and they wouldn't tell you even if they did know. If you have a static IP plan - the myip.dk displayed address is still the one you remote into to - *not* the ppp0 inet or p-t-p address.

I eventually ended up getting postpaid.
That's how it works in Australia. I believe you are not in Aus.

They've moved Canberra? Why wasn't I told??

See this post for more info.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1488078

You mean the ex-vodaphone social networking consultant?
NOTE: the person who told you it's not possible to vnc into your machine is wrong too.

<snipped>

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

--
"You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks liked He rushed it."
— Bill Hicks