 >> Your issue seems to be resolved. However, I'd prefer to teach a man
 >> to fish.... As it were, lsof -i :111 should show you the pid of what
 >> is on that port. From there, ps and then look through logs or 'find
 >> /etc/unit.d -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -i{} grep <p name> {}'
 >> sometimes works. But if you don't see am unit service, chances are
 >> its tcp wrapper / portmap. FWIW

 > So the fact that nmap says that 111 is open for rpcbind does not mean
 > that it is open for rpcbind??

        For the sake of simplicity, let me explain that as follows:
        nmap(1) says about port 111 being available for the rpcbind
        /protocol/.  This protocol is implemented by /both/ portmap
        /and/ rpcbind.

        Another example of this sort you've already seen is:

$ nmap -6 ::1 | grep -F 80/tcp
80/tcp  open  http
$

        However, the machine the command above was run on has /no/
        “http” installed:

$ dpkg -l http
No packages found matching http.
$

        (It has apache2-mpm-prefork installed, though.)

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257      Coming soon: Software Freedom Day