On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:29:51PM +0100, Dan Bowtell wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 16:16, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:35:19PM +0100, Dan Bowtell wrote:
> > > I've just installed an ASUS CRW-5224A CD writer in my debian computer
> > > and I've got it running under scsi emulation. I've just attempted to
> > > burn a CD at the moment but it took 15 minutes to get about 10% through
> > > and then aborted. The log for it is below. The writer works fine running
> > > under windows, I burned the debian installation cds using it.
> >
> > Try making the cdrecord.mmap binary suid root?
>
> I've tried running ir with cdrecord.mmap suid root and as root but it's
> still just as slow. Could it be related to me not being able to set dma
> on any of my drives? How does that affect scsi emulated drives?

(I'm CCing you, since you CCed me...)

Since your original post there have been a couple of others that have
elucidated that the latest cdrecord has a bug which causes it to throw
out an error message when trying to _reduce_ its privileges (such as
in your posted output). In the past these error messages have been a
good indication that the cdrecord binary isn't running as root, which
seems to have thrown me off track.

Not being able to set DMA might well be connected. SCSI-emulated
drives are still on the IDE bus as far as the hardware is concerned,
so they are affected by IDE DMA settings. Also, if the hard drive is
not using DMA, it will be a slow business getting the data to send to
the CD-RW in the furst place. Do you have DMA enabled in your kernel?
My kernel config (2.4.21) has:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

What output do you get when you try to set DMA?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons