> > I didn't mean to CC you, i just hit reply assuming it would go to the
> > list but it went t you instead. My DMA settings in the kernel are:
> >
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> > # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> > # CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> > # CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
> > # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA100 is not set
> > # CONFIG_HPT34X_AUTODMA is not set
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> > # CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
> > # CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
> > # CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA is not set
>
> Looks good to me...
>
> > When i try and set DMA i get the following error:
> >
> > /dev/hdc:
> >  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> >  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >  using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
> ...but perhaps you don't have support for your motherboard chipset
> enabled? The game here is to translate the numbers you get from lspci
> into the appropriate CONFIG_BLK_DEV options using the kernel docs,
> menuconfig help screens, Google and the like. If you fail in this
> endeavour post your lspci output.

lspci gives me the following information:

00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus
Master IDE (rev 06)

Based on that I enabled CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y. I also had DMA
turned off in the bios which I've enabled now. dmesg shows the following
error:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1204, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 00 10 78 00 00 1f 00
hdd: lost interrupt
ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1208, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 00 10 f4 00 00 1f 00
hdd: lost interrupt
ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1383, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 00 24 ef 00 00 1f 00
hdd: lost interrupt
ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros

I've also posted the output of hdparm -I on my other cd drive:
/dev/hdc:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
        Model Number:       HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-2500
        Serial Number:
        Firmware Revision:  0101
Standards:
        Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
        DRQ response: 50us.
        Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns