I was happy to have a MEPIS Live CD around with ext4 support. I've
used it to move data about and pre-partition/pre-format the
partitions, except for the ones used for sRAID.

I don't know if MEPIS supports the architecture you're using, but
maybe Knoppix would be more suitable. Knoppix has it's Debian base in
common with MEPIS.

Also, when partitioning with a GUI tool, keep 8 MiB free space before
the first partition and appropriate alignment keeping the first
cylinder free is guaranteed as long as the free space is honoured. It
might get you to end up with a second cylinder unused at the
beginning, but that shouldn't be a problem anyhow.