On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:53:17 +0530, Linux Tyro wrote:

(...)

> However, I have not understood the meanings of all these packages (this
> is what people say here), I guess, openSUSE is good to start with.
> While, Debian too could be a rock solid, but I don't know why I am going
> to try (with a Live CD) both - openSUSE as well as Debian.

By trying both LiveCDs you will see how the two system look like, how
they're organized and the most important part for a LiveCD: you'll can
try out the hardware detection.

> A general con with the any Linux distro is that it needs to be learned a
> little to get it work perfectly. The general cons with Windows are that
> it is highly unsecured, easy to attack and nothing as resourceful as in
> Linux. The pros with any Linux system are that these are resistant to
> any of the viruses and highly resourceful to get out of these!

Before installing Debian, I left one of my spare systems loaded with a
LiveCD for some time to start getting in touch with the system (a LiveCD
also allows you to install software applications, although "disk" space
is somehow limited). At the time I installed openSUSE (2003) there was
not such option called "LiveCD" so I had to blindly install the OS
without testing it before so nowadys you have a great advantage ;-)

(...)

> This is not a problem for a single home user because I think even if the
> period is of 18 months, one (here 'I') can learn at least some basics of
> Linux, and after 18 months can install/upgrade the newer version and
> then for next 18 months - again it is safe. The basic fundamental of the
> newer upgraded version too would remain the same as that of the one with
> was it got replaced, please let me know if it is like that....mean am I
> correct in this sense....?

I don't understand this :-?

In openSUSE (as in other distributions) you have the chance to:

1/ Perform a full install (from scratch)
2/ Perform a mid-install (by keeping your /home partition, if available)
3/ Perform an offline upgrade (by booting from a DVD/CD install media)
4/ Perform an online upgrade (from a running system)

Option 4/ has been added recently and is officialy supported when
upgrading from one version to the next one (that is, you can jump from
11.3 to 11.4).

> And that's why I go for its trial on the coming Sunday.

I wish you the best of the lucks. Feel free to come here if you finally
don't find yourself confortable with openSUSE but I'm sure you will do.
They also have a great and supportive user community :-)

> I am thankful to all of you who told the great experiences, these all
> are useful for me for everyone so that as a matter of generality, only
> the accurate facts are known. As a matter of great interest, I am sure
> (100%) that whatever distro (either Debian or openSUSE) I use, I am far
> better in the long run as compared to Windows (which I don't want to use
> only because of security).

Choosing between openSUSE and Debian is a very easy decision: whichever
you finally select you will win :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón