I have been doing some investigation. modprobe removes and reinstalls
module iwl3945.
The firmware files are installed by package firmware-iwlwifi in /lib/
firmware. The module
iwl3945.ko is provided with linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 as is iwagn.ko
and iwlcore.ko. iwlcore
is in use according to modprobe.

wpa_supplicant is running. [iwl3945] is a process.

ifocnfig wlan0 gives a MAC address which is set in the NetworkManager.
iwconfig wlan0
gives Mode: managed and Acess Point: Not-Associated.

iwlist wlan0 scanning gives Cell 01 with ESSID = PC_Area, a different
MAC address and
Quality: 40/70

According to the NetworkManager applet, Wireless Networks: device not
managed

Ubuntu 11.10 gies an ipv4 address which is different from that used in
Debian.
Changed the one in Debian using the NM applet, but ifconfig still uses
the old ipv4
address. Will this affect the device being managed?

I cannot see what else to do to get the wifi working with Debian
squeeze. Has
anybody got any ideas?