On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:14:54 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Du, 20 nov 11, 18:10:34, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> I've never faced a security problem when installing over the network
>
> How can you tell? ;)

gOOd catCh.

(Mmm... what happens with my keyboard? Seems like someone is typing on
behalf me :-P)

>> (Internet) and take no additional countermeasures but ensuring the net
>> ISO checksum for the image I have downloaded is okay.
>>
>> A compromised mirror can hit at anytime not just when installing.
>
> A compromised mirror would be the least of my worries (due to
> secure-apt).

There have been two intrusions that are still fresh on my mind (IIRC, one
was at Fedora infrastructure and the last one to the kernel servers) and
I have an extra of paranoid-thinking these days...

> In theory it could be possible to compromise the system during the
> install, but I think the risk is quite low.

Yup, I also think so.

> It would probably have to be a targeted attack during a narrow window of
> a non-standard system not listening to any ports (unless you
> specifically activated ssh, but then you should know what you're doing).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón