32 vs 64 bit - I still use 32 bit because I care about ram more than
processing.

Second, I'd use linux in a vm if I were you.... actually I am doing this
more and more now. For instance I've got ubuntu in a virtualbox installed
at work (because putty sucks, cygwin is a pain, etc - yeah I just use it
for konsole there)

Lastly, I've gotten lazy over the years. I used to buy things with the best
specs and spend a week or more getting it fully functional. Now, I still
look at specs but if the hardware isn't popular with good drivers on every
of, I will probably look elsewhere. So, I like the path of least
resistance. This is why I have a Mac (though all I use there is chrome,
iterm, and.... ) use virtualbox for damn near everything.

My point in all of this is that if windows is working for you, use it. If
you want / need linux for any reason, put it in a virtual. At this point it
doesn't really matter how well linux supports your hardware. It supports
virtualbox quite well.