2011/11/26 Wilko Fokken <wfok...@web.de>:

> Hello Sam,
>
> (some postings above, you mentioned having but 2 GB RAM.)
>
> It is said that, for a 64bit system, one should have at
> least 4 GB RAM installed.

I don't agree. I have 3GB RAM, for which 512MB is taken by video card,
leaving me with 2.5GB RAM, and I'm running 64bit quite happily. I
would say (and that is what my friends are also saying, even though
they are using MS Windows) that having 2GB RAM is enough to run 64bit
system. And there are some pro's (and con's) of running 64bit system
instead of 32bit:
* you have 2 times the number of registers accessible to your
applications, which is quite a big speedup
* whenever you have operations on bigger numbers you are getting it
calculated way much faster - thx to larger register size
* twice as much vector registers, which is quite big speedup in
audio/video processing (even simple playing it!, and converting them
gets even bigger speedup)
* you can expand RAM and not have to worry about limits of RAM
* I think most 64bit CPU do support SSSE3 and, quite often, newer
vectors orders, which means that you can recompile some programs to
take use of it (just a simple compiler switch change), which can give
you nice speedup in some applications (float processing mainly - again
- audio, video)
con's:
* greater memory usage due to bigger size of address (2x size of
pointers, almost everything else is not affected by it)
* some applications (mainly proprietary) do not support 64bit too well
(flashplugin-nonfree? (recently it is working w/o much problems))
* some drivers may not work on 64bit system

darkestkhan